Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Gulling by Numbers

On a quiet day at Elton reservoir where there didn't seem to be an awful lot happening on the bird front, I took to playing a game. Match the gull to the number painted on the buoy. There are lots of these markers on the reservoir. I think they are for the sailing club to use, but not 100% sure about that. Anyway, Elton is a very good place for gulls, and I thought I'd see what we had out there, on what was a grey day.

In at number 9 is a nice looking Common Gull.

At 8 we have a Lesser black-backed Gull and juvenile.

At 6, a sleepy Black-headed Gull.

And finally at 3, another Black-headed Gull. It gave me something to do on my way round the reservoir. I'm sure there will be a rarity along very soon.

9 comments:

  1. Love the shots of the gull balancing on the buoy!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/09/shake-those-tail-feathers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that the gulls have these buoys on which to rest. I wonder if they have made a game out of the numbers? Nice shots Adam...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I think they like the view :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! That juvenile is pretty! I agree with #6, those gray days are made for naps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images Adam! What a great way to make an otherwise boring trip (birdwise) more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos of the gulls. They're handsome birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice gulls. One buoy for one gull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be handy if rarities would sit on buoys with numbers on them - it would finding them so much easier!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.