Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Monday 2 January 2017

Scaup

Happy New Year to you all. I hope you all have a happy and healthy 2017.

It was a very cold -3 with frost and ice on the ground as I headed out this morning, determined to get my camera back in use and the promise of some good light.
I headed to Pennington Flash with the intention of giving my fledgling 2017 year list a really good boost. I wasn't disappointed, as I rarely am when I visit Manchester's premier birding site.
A few birds had been around for a few weeks that are not your usual every day birds, so I concentrated on finding these first. Close in from Horrock's hide I found my first target bird in the shape of a Scaup. Two in fact. Similar in looks to a Tufted Duck, but without the tuft on the head and different bill. There also a tell tale white band around that bill, that is much higher than on the Tufted Duck.






14 comments:

  1. Hello, pretty shots of the Scaup. It is a handsome duck! Happy New Year to you and your family. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sighting! Here in Finland nesting only about 600 pairs of scaup.
    Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, especially the third one!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These images of the scaup are priceless Adam. Great action captures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh those wing spread pictures are amazing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those birds have a broad chest. I'm accustomed to a narrower sort of bird.

    Happy New Year!

    Here's my Wordless Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bird shots. I haven't seen this one before. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it's conducting the orchestra. :D Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were certainly in the right place for these shots! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that a mating display?
    Beautiful shots!!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/01/church-of-primacy-of-peter.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's so wonderful to see those birds. Peaceful! Happy new year..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 2017 Adam..may your birding list be big...Love the actions shots....Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.